PDO Thread Lift
This treatment is targeting specific areas of the face and neck by stimulating collagen production over a 9 month period therefore giving a tighter, smoother appearance to the skin. The two main types of threads are made of either Poly L lactic acid (PLA) or polydioxanone (PDO) also caprolactone. Both PLA and PDO have collagen stimulating properties and are resorbable (dissolve over time leaving tighter ‘repair’ tissue as they often produce Type 3 Collagen tissue behind to prolong the result.) The threads are either smooth (monos) for improving skin texture or screws to reposition the tissue.
A typical treatment involves placement of the desired number of threads, which may range from a single thread per side but can involve 50 threads or more to treat the face and neck. Various entry points are considered depending on the individual face shape and requirements. Local anaesthetic is used to make the procedure as pain free as possible. The threads are introduced with a needle or a blunt ended cannula which is removed once the threads have been positioned. Smooth threads are anchored to lift and stimulate collagen.
Results are sometimes visible straight away once swelling has gone but most visible results are seen at 2 months post treatment, lasting up to 12-18 months
Bruising, swelling, redness and possible puckering, pin prick marks is likely to occur post treatment but expected to settle within 2 weeks.
Most people can continue with normal activities with immediate improvement in their appearance.
For up to a week after the procedure it may feel tender around the sutures. If necessary, you can take some simple paracetamol to help with this although most patients do not bother with this step. You may feel the stitches and the anchoring cones beneath your skin especially when you apply your skincare products or make up, although you should not be able to see them.
Full face – £2300
Lower face – £1500
Neck – £900
PDO Threads Aftercare
- Pulling or scratching sensations will disappear within 5 days
- Gently cleanse the treated areas on the same day but do not rub or massage the face for 2 weeks
- Avoid opening the mouth too wide for 3 -4 weeks (avoid dental treatment for 2 weeks if possible)
- Stringing, “pulling” pain, or discomfort is normal and will subside over a 2 week period ( paracetamol is recommended to reduce discomfort)
- Avoid taking any anti-inflammatory medication such as ibuprofen, because inflammation is necessary to initiate the new collagen formation process
- Avoid alcohol and anticoagulant medicine (aspirin, unless prescribed for medical indications) for 7 days
- Avoid blood thinning vitamins C & E for 7 days
- Avoid temperature extremes such as saunas, sunbeds and steam rooms or very cold climate for 10 days
- Avoid physical exercise for 7 days following treatment
- Avoid having radio frequency (RF) or any heat producing treatment (laser,IPL) around the thread treated areas for at least 10 weeks